Comfortable & convenient.
Comfortable is formed from the noun “comfort", which means "physical well-being, a state free from pain or irritation". Thus a comfortable chair is one in which the body feels at ease, comfortable (pain or irritation). "Comfortable" is most often used of chairs, beds, etc., clothes, houses and flats (meaning comfortably furnished) and means of transport. However it may be used in a wider sense, to mean
1) having or providing comfort:
1. He has a very comfortable life.
2. They have a comfortable income.
2) simple and undemanding;
e.g. The patient was said to be comfortable after the operation
Convenient means "avoiding trouble or difficulty", or "serving to make a task easier". Thus a convenient time for a meeting is one which fits in well with one's other activities, a convenient place is one which is easily reached, and so on. Various tools and household appliances (for example, washing machines, electric mixers, potato-peelers) can be called convenient.
Convenient can be compared with "comfortable" in the following examples:
a comfortable seat
-one in which the body feels at ease
a convenient seat
- one which is, for example, easy to reach ( in a bus, theatre, etc.)
a comfortable train
-one with soft seats, etc.
a convenient train
-one which runs at a suitable time
a comfortable dress
-one which does not restrict one’s movements
a convenient dress
-one which can be worn on various occasions, or is easy to wash, etc.
Exercise Fill in the blanks with "comfortable" or "convenient". In cases where both are possible, explain the difference in meaning.
1. — There isn't much food value in packet soups but they're very …. 2. — I want to put on some more ... shoes to go shopping. These are hurting me. 3. — The Red Arrow is the most …, overnight train to Moscow. 4. — The bed in the hotel was very ... 5. — Foil is very … for storing food and for cooking.
6. The medical report said that the patient was ... 7. — I like this skirt because it's so … 8. - It's very …tо book tickets by telephone. 9. — Is your timetable… this term? 10. - Instant coffee doesn't taste like real coffee. - No but it's very… 11. - This settee can be pulled out to make a bed. – How…
12. - Please make yourself … (Hostess to guest).
7. comfortable / convenient